Friday, February 02, 2024

Will shortwave 'glory days' ever return?

 


Letter: Let’s Restore Shortwave to Its Former Glory


A reader asks: "Is there any real reason we can't bring back some of the relevant activities from our glorious past?"

BY RON FITCH 
PUBLISHED: JANUARY 30, 2024
In this letter to the editor, the author comments on Radio World’s ongoing, extensive coverage on shortwave radio. Comment on this or any article. Email radioworld@futurenet.com.

 am relieved to see the discussion of shortwave relevance is still relevant.

In my contest blog (WQ6X.Blogspot.com), I have broached this topic several times. Searching the word “shortwave” in the blog, I come up with many entries, the first being “Does Shortwave Radio Have a Future?,” wherein I referenced the article in the Feb. 20, 2019, issue of RW on this topic.

I was a big fan of WTWW on shortwave until the shutdown of their station due to an obvious lack of funds to keep it reliably on the air. I’m not looking for another religious broadcaster to buy the site and offer us just more of the same.

I would like to see stations like WTWW back on the shortwave medium with their own transmitters. Yes, I’m remembering the way it was. Is there any REAL reason we can’t bring back some of the relevant activities from our glorious past?