Wednesday, July 12, 2006

EDXP closes Internet Radio Service


The purpose of this letter is to advise you that the EDXP INTERNET RADIO SERVICE has been closed down.

The Service was introduced in February 2006 on a trial basis, to assess worldwide demand for such a venture, and to publish content relevant to shortwave broadcasting, selected from listener submissions, with costs of the Internet hosting service funded by listeners.

The Service had been extensively promoted worldwide via the Electronic DX Press Website, and through many hobby monitoring organisations, DX clubs, newsgroups, mailing lists, magazines, bulletin boards, Weblogs, and international broadcasters. There were nearly 4000 downloads since inception in February 2006, from one or more of the 22 programs produced.

The trial resulted in:

1. Negligible comments and feedback from listeners

2. No direct submissions from listeners for inclusion

3. No financial support from listeners (a once-only donation of A$5/US$5 was suggested)

Under such circumstances, I have no further interest in devoting time, effort, money and other resources into managing such a project.

It is my view that the vast majority of listeners had adopted an attitude of "I will take what I can get, I will not comment, I will not submit anything, and I will not help pay for the Internet costs."

Thanks, anyway, to these three listeners who had posted comments to the site in the past two months:

Michael Stevenson (Australia)
Richard Chen (Trinidad and Tobago)
Greg W. (Finland)

I also thank my Melbourne colleague Rob Wagner who assisted with the musical introductions.

Regards from Melbourne!

Bob Padula
(Source: Cumbre DX)