Thursday by many is called 'Throwback Thursday,' Facebook and blogs are loaded with special memories, QSLs, or photos of their favorite pets. I was reminded recently by my husband Larry, of indeed "a throwback" mystery.
On December 21, 2015, U.K.'s Daily Mail, published an article by Jonathan O'Callaghan entitled, Can YOU solve the mystery of UVB-76 ? Radio station has 'buzzed' every second since the 1970's- but no one knows why.
Fast forward to February 2, 2016 - and there it is. Still "buzzing" on 4625 kHz, and just as much an enigma as ever. Have I missed something ? Has someone solved this big buzzer signal ? Theories abound, but here are a few of the theories from the Daily Mail
* A Russian radio station has played a buzzing sound for four decades
* Every few months it is interrupted by a voice relaying a coded message
* But no one knows the exact purpose of the station or the message
* Predominant theories suggest it is a station used by the military
* Others suggest it may be a counter-attack measure for nuclear war
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2877988/Can-solve-mystery-UVB-76-Radio-station-buzzed-second-1970s-no-one-knows-why.html#ixzz3zEGUn2GW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook