By MORIKAZU KOGEN/ Staff Writer
KOGA, Ibaraki Prefecture--Standing tall and proud over an area of 1 million square meters or so, a forest of steel towers in two-tone red and white is the dominant feature under the blue sky against the backdrop of Mount Tsukubasan.
This is KDDI Corp.’s Yamata Transmitting Station, the nation’s only facility broadcasting shortwave radio programs to overseas listeners.
The station started broadcasts on Jan. 1, 1941. The main building still retains a prewar ambience.
Additional reading from The Asahi Shimbun at: http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14367647