Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Charleston Radio raided and shut down

 


Harry Richman writes this sad news to Charleston Radio International's Facebook this afternoon (28 Feb):


"CHARLESTON RADIO INTERNATIONAL is shut down by authorities today afternoon. So it's history and I thank you for listening and posting over the years. The project was made for 100 years of AM Radio. I hope you remember me fondly BYE BYE"

In reply to a comment, he replied:
"they just took the transmitter with them. It goes to a Laboratory to check the power. And I will hear of them later. There was 3 mens here for the shut down, i was nice with them and they was also nice with me. 
They made photos of the transmitter place and the antenna. So now i wait for the Penalty bill."
Charleston Radio Int's daily broadcasts of old 1920s, 1930s music (from site in Germany or Switzerland?) were on 5140 kHz (occasionally 5135 to 5150 to avoid QRM) and usually gave good reception here after dark.
(Alan,Caversham, UK/BDXC)