Posted to the web 10 August 2007
Somali's transitional government has shut down Shabelle radio, it is one of the major media station in Mogadishu on Friday morning and arrested some of its staff working there.
Around 9:45am local time, the Somali army raided the station entering the radio's rooms and arrested most of the journalists on work. they have taken them into the custody And ordered the shut down the station temporarily
The Radio management is claims that" the Ethiopian embassy threatened to Shabelle that it would be closed over how it covers the current stories."
It is not yet clear why the current government closed down Shabelle radio this time.
The acting chairman of Shabelle Media Network and other nine of its staff including reporters, anchors, presenters and technician.
The arrested staff members include:
1. Jafar Mohamed Kukay the acting chairman of Shabelle Media Network.
2. Nimo Hassan Abdi, (reporter)
3. Aideed Abdirahman (reporter)
4 Ahmed Tajir, news anchor
5. Abdinor Mohamed Kediye (reporter) and News Caster
6. Mustafa Hussein Omar (Presenter)
7. Cali Ajeey. (Farsamo yaqaan).
(Source: http://mareeg.com/english/radio_shabelle_closure.htm )